RES course syllabus is prepared in the context of laws in Singapore governing real estate agency work and shall focus on sale and lease transactions involving residential, commercial and industrial properties located in Singapore. However, the syllabus does not include laws or regulations of other countries governing transactions of foreign properties and real estate salespersons are advised to be familiar of such laws or regulations when advising their clients in foreign properties transactions.
The RES course syllabus is designed to ensure real estate salespersons meet the expectations required of them:
- Have good knowledge of the concepts of real estate and agency practice;
- Have a basic knowledge of the legal requirements and laws governing property transactions and real estate agency work;
- Have a basic knowledge of the terminology and concepts of real estate sale and leasing and the need to comply with the requirements of the law;
- Understand the requirements of the Estate Agents Act 2010 and subsidiary legislation including Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, and of the Council for Estate Agencies (CEA); and
- Be able to handle typical property transactions effectively and in compliance with the law, government policies, rules and CEA’s prescribed regulations and practice guidelines.
Course Syllabus (After Oct 2016)
Competency Unit 1 - Real Estate Agency Industry Overview
CU 1.1 - Real estate market and submarkets
CU 1.2 - Real estate market players and government intervention
CU 1.3 - Introduction (Basic Law Concepts)
CU 1.4 - Land
CU 1.5 - Estates in land
CU 1.6 - State Lands Act
CU 1.7 - Rights in another's land
CU 1.8 - Registration of titles
Competency Unit 2 - Dealings with Interests in Land
CU 2.1 - Law of Contract
CU 2.2 - Law of Agency
CU 2.3 - Landlord and Tenant Law
CU 2.4 - Negligence
CU 2.5 - Conveyance inter vivos (No Notes)
CU 2.6 - Mortgage
CU 2.7 - Gift of property
CU 2.8 - Trust
CU 2.9 - Succession
CU 2.10 - Future interest in land
CU 2.11 - Co-ownership of land
CU 2.12 - Restriction on Capacity to hold land
CU 2.13 - Planning and development of land
Competency Unit 3 - Regulation of Real Estate Regulations Agency & Real Estate Marketing
CU 3.1 - Regulation of real estate agency industry
CU 3.2 - Role and Functions of Salespersons and their requisite Knowledge and Skills
CU 3.3 - Principles of Real Estate Marketing
CU 3.4 - Types of Listing
CU 3.5 - Methods of Sales
CU 3.6 - Regulations on Advertisement
CU 3.7 - Marketing of Residential Property / HDB Flats
CU 3.8 - Marketing of Commercial Property
CU 3.9 - Marketing of Industrial Property
CU 3.10 - Marketing of Special Properties
CU 3.11 - Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act
Competency Unit 4 - Property Transactions
CU 4.1 - Sale of uncompleted private properties
CU 4.2 - Sale of completed private properties
CU 4.3 - Collective sale of private properties
CU 4.4 - Sale of HDB flats
CU 4.5 - Leasing of private properties
CU 4.6 - Subletting of HDB flats
CU 4.7 - Foreign worker housing
CU 4.8 - Taxes on property
CU 4.9 - Property finance and financial calculations
RES Course Application
Interested applicant must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Minimum 4 GCE ‘O’ level or Equivalent*
Below qualifications are considered as Equivalent:
- WSQ Workplace Literacy and Numeracy (WPLN) at least level 5 or above for all 5 modules
- Higher NITEC Certificate.
- Old Certificate Title: Industrial Technician Certificate (ITC), Certificate in Business Studies (CBS).
- Master NITEC Certificate.
- Old Certificate Title: National Technical Certificate 1 (NTC1)
- Poly Foundation Programme (PFP) Certificate awarded by all local autonomous polytechnics (i.e: TP, NYP, SP, NP, SP)
* Individuals who are unable to meet the minimum criteria can take the Workplace Literacy and Numeracy (WPLN) assessment administered by WDA. A WPLN (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing and Numeracy) Level 5 will be recognised in lieu of 4 GCE “O” level passes.
WPLN Training Providers’ Approved Assessment Centre
SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) has appointed British Council (Singapore) Limited to administer the WPLN assessment programme. You may refer to the following links:
* Foreign applicants registering for RES Course must produce a Letter of Support issued by an Estate Agent that is prepared to support the salesperson's application to CEA.
The course fee is $788.00 / *$700.00 (Buddy Discount Registration / *Both must register in the same batch or same cycle).
What is Skillsfuture?
*Singaporean aged 25 and above can use $500.00 and balance amount from Skillsfuture Credit to offset Pioneer's RES course fee. Nett Course fee after Skillsfture Credit is $0 or $238.00 for Single Registration or $200.00 for Buddy Registration.
Group & Corporate discount applicable. Terms & Conditions apply. Please contact us for more information.
Fee quoted includes:
- Learner's Guide material (e-notes)
- 24/7 online revision account
* Examination fees not included
The course is held over 20 classes and can be completed at varying durations.
Weekday: 6 hr classes, completes in approx. 4 weeks
Weekday Evening: 3 hr classes, completes in approx. 6 weeks
Weekend: 3 and 6 hr classes, completes in approx. 6 weeks
Register online or do a manual submission by filling in the enrollment form and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents listed below:
- Highest Educational Qualification (min 4 GCE 'O' Level credits (at least C6) / Acceptable Local Degree or Diploma.
Degree(s) from local Universities:
- National University of Singapore (NUS)
- Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
- Singapore Management University (SMU)
- Singapore University of Technology And Design (SUTD)
- Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT)
- Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS)
Diploma(s) from local Polytechnics:
- Singapore Poly (SP)
- Republic Poly (RP)
- Nanyang Poly (NYP)
- Ngee Ann Poly (NP).
- Temasek Poly (TP)
*Overseas qualifications or Private diplomas will need to be submitted to the Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) for Educational Qualification Assessment.
Applicants are required to attach your academic certificates, transcript, supporting documents together with the completed Educational Qualification Assessment Form to CEA at email@example.com.
- Payment for registrations online can be made via Paypal or credit card.
- Payment for manual registration at our head office personally can be made by cheque or cash only. You can also mail a cheque payable to “Pioneer Training & Consultancy Pte Ltd” to Blk 134 Jurong Gateway Road #03-309P S(600134).
Click here for Course Schedule & Registration
Important Note (please read)
- Participants must meet pre-requisite qualification criteria before being allowed to commence the course.
- Certificate of Attendance will be issued to course participants who fulfil a minimum of 75% attendance.
- Course participants must register with CEA’s appointed Exam Administrators and pass the RES examination within 2 years from the date of issuance of the Certificate of Completion of RES Course
- Please be informed that attending the RES Course and passing the RES Exam does not automatically qualify an individual to be a real estate salesperson. The applicant has to comply with the full registration requirement stipulated under the Estate Agent Act, which includes meeting the fit and proper criteria. Please check the complete list of registration criteria on CEA's website at https://www.cea.gov.sg/professionals/salesperson-registration-matters/apply-for-salesperson-registration before registering for the RES Course.
- Foreigner who wish to register with CEA as salespersons, will need to have a valid Employment Pass (EP) issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) to work in the real estate agency industry. You should consult an estate agent that is prepared to support your future registration application, who would then check with CEA. Thereafter, when you register for the RES Course, will need to produce a letter of support from the estate agent.
Updated on 08.09.2022